Follows these steps to program KeyChainino with an USB DATA cable.
Be sure to use a micro USB data cable because many USB cable are for recharging only and you cannot use it.
Use a standard
CR2032 coin cell battery.
1) Download and install Arduino IDE
- If you haven’t already, download the Arduino software, Install the Arduino software, following the instructions for Windows, Mac OS X or Linux
2) Download the Arkanoid game for KeyChainino V2 USB
- Download the sketch here and open it
3) Connect KeyChainino V2 to the Computer
- Like I said before, you must use a MICRO USB DATA CABLE
- Connect the USB cable to the KeyChainino V2 and the PC’s USB port. It’s NOT necessary to remove the KeyChainino’s battery because it has an onboard circuit that prevents the charging of the battery.
- If you’re using Mac OS or OS X you don’t have to install drivers. Otherwise if you use a Windows OS, drivers should be automatically installed plugging with an USB cable the board to your PC, but with some version of the Windows operative system (like Windows 7, Vista and 10) it can happen that your board won’t be recognized and you will get the message Unknown USB device. It is so necessary to manually install them following the guide Manually install Drivers on Windows.
4) Select the right Board and Port on Arduino IDE
- On the Arduino IDE, go to Tools -> Board, and select LilyPad Arduino USB
- Next, with KeyChainino V2 connected via USB, press and hold the A and B KeyChainino’s buttons. When the KeyChainino smile face comes up, keep hold for another 2 seconds. Release the two buttons and all KeyChainino LEDs will blink. Now you are in programming mode. In this mode you can see the USB – Serial communication in the Arduino IDE
- On the Arduino IDE go to Tools -> Port and select the right port where KeyChainino is connected. It should be indicated with the name “LilyPad Arduino USB”, but it depends on your operating system.
5) Upload the Sketch
- Choose and download one of the KeyChainino’s V2 USB sketches here
- Just press the Arduino IDE upload Button
- Now you should see “Done uploading” at the bottom of the Arduino IDE
- Now you can play with the Arkanoid Game!
If your KeyChainino V2 USB won’t boot up and/or your Arduino IDE doesn’t show the Serial Port, try these steps in order:
- Check if the micro USB Cable is OK and if it is a DATA CABLE, if not, change the cable
- If you made some changes on the original Sketch and KeyChainino won’t start and/or you’re not able to upload a new sketch anymore:
- open the Arkanoid ORIGINAL sketch (Download here)
- connect KeyChainino to the PC with a USB DATA cable
- then double press the RESET button on the KeyChainino Board
- Rapidly select the Port of KeyChainino in the Arduino IDE
- Upload the sketch